The second trial over the death of Argentine football superstar Diego Maradona — which began in April after the first was declared a mistrial — was embroiled in a new controversy after it emerged that the medical board that served as the core foundation of the trial had included medical tests belonging to Maradona’s father in its analysis. The discrepancy came to light during Wednesday’s hearing when a defense attorney cross-checked the data in the medical board’s report after one of the 20 experts on that panel testified about the documentation used in its investigation. Maradona’s father, Diego Maradona Sr., affectionately known as “Don Diego,” received medical treatment from the same healthcare provider as his son, Swiss Medical, in 2015 for various health issues. The results of those tests were later included among the documents reviewed by the specialists investigating the former Argentina captain’s death in 2020. The discovery has raised fresh questions about the medical board’s findings regarding Maradona’s health and the circumstances of his death. Their report plays a central role in the prosecution’s case against eight people accused of failing to provide proper medical care to Maradona. Among them are his main medical adviser, Leopoldo Luque, psychiatrist Agustina Cosachov, and psychologist Carlos Díaz. Mario Baudry, the attorney representing Maradona’s youngest son, Diego Fernando, said the board’s mix-up occurred due to a “deliberate” action by the healthcare provider when the information was submitted, rather than due to “incompetence” on their part. He nevertheless said the error would not substantially alter the core findings of the case. Luque’s attorney, Francisco Oneto, said after the hearing that the episode showed the medical board had been “given an authority it did not possess.” He called it “scandalous” that the experts had failed to verify the documentation. The discovery could prompt defense teams to intensify their scrutiny of the medical board’s methodology, the documentation it relied on, and the evidentiary value of its conclusions. The proceedings will now have to determine what impact, if any, Maradona Sr.’s tests had on the findings. Medical board under fire It’s not the first time the prosecution’s reliance on the medical board’s findings has come under scrutiny. Back in June, the prosecution called into question the testimony of medical examiner Mariana Flichman, who prepared Maradona’s discharge papers after he underwent surgery to remove a hematoma from his head. It was later revealed that Flichman also worked — and continues to work — for the private health insurer responsible for Maradona’s home care. The prosecution subsequently called for her testimony to be removed. Defense attorneys rejected the claim that prosecutors were unaware of Flichman’s role and warned that, if her testimony and evidence were excluded, they would seek to have the medical board’s report annulled in its entirety. This is the second trial over Maradona’s death, after the first court case was declared a mistrial in May 2025. Maradona died from acute pulmonary edema in 2020. The trial centers on the circumstances of his death and the medical care he received from his doctors and nurses after the medical board determined those responsible for his care had failed to provide proper medical treatment.
New controversy in Diego Maradona death trial after medical test mix-up
Date:




